Thursday, May 9, 2013

Profile: Dr. Sunitha Krishnan

Dr. Sunitha Krishnan might not look like your typical hero, but nothing could be farther from the truth.

The 4'8" champion for women's rights is changing the world as we speak, with a beautiful story and lion-like passion. From the beginning, she wanted to help others. She became a social worker when she was younger, and started to help the poor children of her village and educate them. The sad truth of life unfolded: A gang of men who disliked the interference of a woman in a supposed "man's society" raped and severely beat her, leaving her for dead.

Calling Sunitha a rape victim is an insult to her resilience and determination. She bounced back, forming Prajwala, an organization working to combat sex trafficking and abuse in developing countries.  To this day, she has taken thousands of girls out of prostitution rings and into schools, emerging as a powerful voice of righteousness among such corruption and lawlessness.

Sunitha says: "I have this deep-rooted belief that my life is a providence by itself, and God has brought me in this world to do what I'm doing, and God will allow me to stay in this world so long as he believes that my mission is not done, and therefore I do believe that the day God believes that my work is done, I'll be killed or I'll die naturally, or whichever way is possible."

So many people are pushed done and trodden on. She decided to stand up and fight. You can do it too.

Check out this video of Sunitha's TED talk about sex trafficking and her organization:






No comments:

Post a Comment