Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Chance Meeting

I remember back to December ( poetry! ), when I was starting to run out of hope, starting to give up, when a last-ditch attempt proved to be the beginning of a new adventure. 

I had contacted many organizations like UNICEF, Free the Children, and more, hoping for a reply that would tell me how to make a difference. Negative. Until the day I decided to contact Hallie Pond, Youth Programming Director of the United States-based Free the Children office. She was amazingly friendly and supportive, agreeing to meet with me to help me go forward and maybe offer some ideas of my own.

Well, I just met her this Wednesday, and I have come out of the meeting with fresh hope and belief for my future. She told me a lot about herself and Free the Children's work in developing countries -- Their "Adopt a Village" Model -- and helped me get started. From a murky, unclear path forward, I now have a clear action plan. 

If you look down a few posts, you can see my profile on Craig Kielburger, a true standard-bearer of the tainted flag of child labor. His story is even more intricate than I thought - With his small group of kids, he presented in his school and numerous other places around the community, and started a boycott of all products that had to do with child labor. He even repeatedly contacted the Prime Minister of Canada, urging him to focus and act on child labor in third-world countries.

Hallie taught me how to get a group of like-minded people together, present within our school, and expand. Also, she introduced me to other FTC programs like WeDay, a massive event in which children and adults alike collaborate in order to make a difference. For that, I am eternally grateful.

6 comments:

  1. Wow very impressive! This is truly a worthwile cause to fight for. Let me know if there is some way in which I can help. Your work on this blog is amazing and I'm sure you will soon be making a big impact for these children. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In fact, we are forming a group to combat child labor in our school -- We will be fundraising, spreading awareness, and maybe even contacting our representatives to enlighten them on this issue. If you are willing to commit, we would love to have you join.

      Thanks for your comment, it really does mean a lot:)

      Delete
    2. I would definitely like to join! Let me know about it.

      Delete
  2. Arjun, why don't you talk to Mrs. Morrison or Mrs. Ellis about setting a schoolwide event up or talking about this in the Monday Meetings to spread awareness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going back to your post from a few weeks ago on technology and child labor, why does the public condone such abuses? Child abuse is patently horrible to anybody, but people eagerly buy the iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S III without a second thought. My feel is that if the public of America boycotted these companies, there would be change real fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because people aren't aware of what's going on. The fact that people are so oblivious to these things is what hits hardest.
      -Rajiv

      Delete