Monday, December 10, 2012

Children Making A Difference

I have always asked myself the question: How Can I help? How do I make a difference?



And when I read about some of the incredible initiatives that children like me have organized, I am awed at the courage and dedication these kids demonstrate in the cause they have picked.

Eight weeks ago, as you all know, Malala was shot - For refusing to obey the Taliban's order of no girls in schools. She showed incredible bravery in standing up against a worldwide terrorist organization that has threatened the United States itself. All around the world children wore headbands and shirts campaigning for education; By January a petition signed by nearly one million Pakistani out-of-school children demanding the opportunity for education will be presented to the Prime Minister.

Only a few days ago a raid took place in New Delhi, freeing tens of children working to produce Christmas decorations in shops - Their goal was to challenge adultish complacency about education for all children. A children's march, made up of 100 rescued child laborers, will take place on Saturday, commencing a 300 km walk to raise attention and awareness for this issue.

 The promise of the American dream and globalization is for all children to have the hope of following their dreams, of getting a quality education. Adults are not acting fast enough. So we kids will shoulder the burden. For as small as we are, in size and experience - we make up for it in determination and idealism. Us kids can make a huge difference in this world.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arjun- You must know about Craig Kielburger? In case you don't, I strongly urge you to check out the link below to their organization. The reason you should know is because, like you, at the age of 12, Craig Kielburger and his friends launched (Kids Can) Free the Children, a Toronto-based organization dedicated to ending child labor in developing countries. Today, it is the largest network of children helping children in the world.

    See the 60 minutes video on the site. I know you will be inspired. A great way for kids (and adults) to turn their passion to end child labor into action!

    http://www.freethechildren.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi:

      Yes I do, I have read much about him and what he has done. I have contacted the organization a few times about youth programming and other opportunities. I love his story and he is one of my heroes!

      Thanks so much for the reference, I might write more about him a week or two on!

      Delete